The XDS retro alloy is the best retro bicycle on the market in Australia. It is the bicycle you've been looking for - good looking, comfortable and ready to ride away. It's lightweight but strong and easy to service and obtain parts. It features a sturdy rear rack and a front basket supported from below with a removable wicker insert with handles. The chain guard matches the frame and combined with the classic step through design means you can wear whatever you want and still go by bicycle. The Retro Alloy model has an easy to use and high quality Shimano Alivio 8 speed derailleur gearing system with trigger shifter. The brown grips and saddle feel good and look great.
Retro style bicycles became very popular in Australia around 2010 for easy to understand reasons - they look awesome and were a welcome relief from the uncomfortable, impractical sporting bicycles that had dominated the market for decades. However, with that came a huge number of cheaper retro bicycles that were built to match the style, without any budget used towards making for a good quality bicycle. This one is different. The best way to check that we're telling the truth is to come in and ride this bicycle and see for yourself. If you can't do that right now, here's the technical details on why this is the 'have your cake and eat it' version of all the retro bicycles.
The XDS retro alloy model (not the steel model) has:
- not just an aluminium frame, but aluminium crankset, rack, mudguard struts, handlebar, stem, seat post and rims. Most retro bicycles do not use aluminium for these parts, making for a heavy bicycle that is prone to rust
- stainless steel spokes for longer lasting wheels and less rust
- double walled rims in the wheels. Most retro bicycles have single wall rims that are prone to buckling and not usually worth fixing.
- Kenda tyres instead of generic tyres. This means better rolling, longer wearing and fewer blow-outs (we recommend an upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon tyres for more puncture protection).
- Front basket does not interfere with the brake and gear cables, so everything works better and needs less maintenance. Basket is supported from below and behind and will not loosen with time
- Great brakes! The XDS retro alloy uses branded V-brakes. Most retro bicycles use road caliper brakes for a more traditional look. However, this compromises safety and is not as easy to maintain as V-brakes.
XDS also makes a retro alloy with Shimano internal hub gears. The derailleur model is a little lighter and a little easier to ride and is easier to remove the rear wheel. The internal hub gear modelis lower maintenance and even less likely to get mess on your clothes. It also has a slightly different frame. You are looking at the derailleur gear model.